Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A taste of the season

October is my favourite month of the year. This year, it has felt more like September in some ways. However the snowstorm we had last weekend, weak as it was, was definitely a wake up call to what is to come. Even three days after the last snow, my garden finally succumbed--except the covered parts--to a killing freeze. This killing freeze was supposed to occur on Sunday night/Monday morning. Finally it occured.

October is finally rearing its head, even though we are supposed to be in the seventies this weekend, which is good news for the kitchen remodel project. The trees are still mostly green. Usually, they are changing colours by now and shedding leaves. There are some shed brown leaves, but not coloured ones yet. Maybe by Halloween/Samhain there will be millions of dead soldiers littering the lawns and walks. I intend to compost most of them on the yard this year. Last time I did, the next spring there were earthworms the size of small snakes in the garden. I only came upon a few miniscule specimens this year in my diggings. Time to mulch in a major way again this fall.

I am keeping mum about another Pagan matter until certain action has been taken. Look for more later.

No comments: