Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Where did February go?

Oh where oh where did February go?
Oh where oh where could it be?

I think it passed me by, mostly, except for the first part of it which was a bunch of frenetic worrying and trying to get as much work done at work before I had reparative surgery on my biceps tendon on February 7th.

I actually worried and fretted through half of January, too, because I found out I would be having surgery on my arm on January 13th. I still went on vacation to Tucson, because, according to two anesthesia nurses I spoke to prior to surgery, it was "quite likely" that I would never wake up from surgery because of my high blood pressure and sleep apnea. Oh joy, and WHY am I having my arm repaired again? Because it will look flawless in the casket? Dr. Hegmann, who had been looking after my arm injury since October put it all into perspective for me when he told me that I had a greater chance of dying in a car wreck on my way to work in the morning than during or after surgery.

Well here I am! Fab and fat as ever! Well, not as fat as ever, but that is a different doctor . . .

So, surgery happens. It was actually a kind of pleasant adventure. The post surgical nurses and nursing aides were amazing. There was Andria and Polyanna who were my nurses and Alicia and Dani who were my nurses aides. They were so friendly and professional and made my overnight stay at the University Orthopedic Centre a far better experience than I might have thought. The guy in the room next to mine was a total asshole and made it impossible to sleep. I wish I could share the asshole's name with you all, but I dont know it.

After I was released from surgery, well, the next two weeks were kind of a blur in a way. I spent nights with Joe, with my coven sisters Mo and Brie, with my parents. I slept alot. I was sleeping up to 16 hours a day at times. Even now, at the first of March, I am still sleeping ten to twelve hours a day. However, I am healing up well. Dr. Tashjian, my surgeon said the surgery went well. They grafted a dead person's tendon onto the stub of a tendon that I had left, and reattached my biceps to my radius. I have gone from needing lots of help for simple things like bathing and dressing to needing no help for those. I am washing dishes and taking out the trash (with my right arm). But February is gone.

In some ways, I feel like I have been off work for three or four months. I miss it and I wish I could go back now, even if only part time. Winn tells me that install requests boomed right as I went in to surgery and it has been stressful for them. I really wish I could help and now I feel stressed out that I cant.

My headaches have been diminishing over the last month. I have had ONE headache that was bad enough to make me late for work and a few others that would just have made going to work annoying. My blood pressure is down, my cholesterol is down, my triglycerides are down. Things are looking hopeful.

Today was a warm day. It was sunny, but dusty with all the Hatu winds blowing. It was a good day and it was like waking up for the first time after a coma or something like that. It was crisp and clear and REAL.

I also want to wish my sister, Tammy, a very happy 27th birthday tomorrow. She deserves it!

No comments: